Wednesday, March 25, 2009

the announcements

Now that we have confirmed the existence of a grape-sized person inside of my wife, Clara and have begun the process of telling friends of it's existence. Actually Clara had begun doing this because she isn't so good with keeping secrets. She tells me this is a good thing and I suppose she's right. Still, I can imagine some instances where complete and total honesty isn't necessarily a good thing ("I have to tell you - I just slept with George Clooney and he was sooooo much better than you.")

The public response has fallen into a few defined categories. Women without children are by far the most giddily enthusiastic. Women with children tend to describe the degree to which "everything is about to change for you". Married men without children offer nervous congratulations whereas men with children tend to shake my hand as if I had just graduated from high school.

While I understand and appreciate the congratulatory gesture, it does seem a bit odd. It's not like I did anything especially challenging. In fact, my involvement in the process was, while critical, was fleeting and it is Clara that will be doing the heavy lifting from here on out. I suppose it is for this reason that I should begrudge whatever pleasure she receives from her tryst with Clooney.

No comments:

Post a Comment