
So last Thursday we once again made the trip up US-281 to Dr. Villanueva's office and this time he pulled out the ultrasound machine. This time the Doctor eschewed the in-through-my-wife's-privates technique for the more picturesque on-to-of-the-belly approach which I found to be considerably less disconcerting. We saw a little beating heart with all four chambers, a little brain with two hemispheres and little hands with five fingers apiece. Every thing looked wonderfully normal to the doctor and somewhat ghoulish to me. The fact that our child's head appears more skull like than anything momentarily rekindled my fear that we will be giving birth to a skeleton in October, but I've been assured that will not be the case.
As nice as it was to be told the baby is healthy, the highlight of the visit was the the determination of the belly. While we of course would have been happy with either a boy or a girl, I was a little concerned about my ability to raise a boy properly. While I can identify most aircraft on sight, I'm at a loss when it comes to dinosaurs and I can't throw a good spiral to save my life. I fear from an athletic standpoint, any son of mine would have a definite disadvantage.
Of course those concerns were assuaged when Dr. V. announced that it was, in fact a girl. He seemed sure enough about this though neither Clara nor I would have been lead to that conclusion by the structures he identified. It is nice knowing and while we are going to try and go easy in the frilly-pink-outfit department, we know some of that will be unavoidable.
I also consider it unavoidable that I will, at some point, need to buy a double-barrel shotgun so as to intimidate future suitors. That and a crib and stroller and stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment