
friday: the great outdoors
I had recorded Ken Burn’s documentary on the National Park System when it had premiered on PBS back in September. I was wondering when I was going to have the opportunity to watch these but as I began to assume the early morning Baby poogie shift an opportunity was provided to do just that. My daughter was at this point still primarily sleeping only while being held and so I learned about Yosemite, Yellowstone and the rest with my child slung over my shoulder. As a result I will probably forever associate these places with her. Perhaps I will someday take her to visit these parks and together we will explore them. Or perhaps she will be like her mother and find nothing compelling about the outdoors and the dirt that seems to pervade it. Time will tell.
Friday morning was our first trip to our “official” pediatrician and while our daughter was still less-than-excited by the concept of being strapped into her car seat, she calmed considerably once inside. The meeting with the doctor went well and for all the challenges facing her parents, Baby Poogie was as fit and as blessedly normal as she could be.
Later on that evening I took her outside so as to introduce her to the nighttime. She seemed to enjoy it, and she expressed this by not screaming. This first week had been a lot more intense than I had imagined with my job as a father being much more hands-on. One fear I had harbored before she was born was that I would be awkward around the child and not particularly useful. That certainly turned out to not be the case as this first week turned out to be very much an “all hands on deck” effort. I would be lying if I didn’t admit it had been much, much harder than I had expected, but we had soldiered through the incredibly steep learning curve and by Friday there had started to maybe, possibly, tentatively be something of a routine that could be predicted and followed.
No comments:
Post a Comment