
So most mornings I'll wake up around 4:00 when our daughter begins to fuss. She usually needs a diaper change and more often than not she will go back to sleep until around 7:00 by which time she's hungry and I need to get ready for work.
It is in the transition between her initial wakefulness and her return to slumber that I am faced with a challenging moral dilemma. After she is changed she will remain content if held on the shoulder. If I attempt to put her to bed too early she will wake up, cry, and the process will need to be restarted. But after changing the wet diaper into which she has emptied the contents of her bladder, I'm in need of emptying the contents of my own.
So if my child is more or less asleep with her eyes shut and her head resting on my shoulder, is it wrong that I sometimes use the bathroom myself?
When I asked my family this question over Christmas the overwhelming response was "Yes, it is both wrong and more than a little disgusting". In theory I agree but at four in the morning when the house is quiet and my child is asleep, I can't help but view my ability multitask in this way as a unique male adaptation and one to be fully exploited.
Nope, not wrong at all. You do whatcha gotta do when holding an infant.
ReplyDeleteI have known men to pee at a urinal in a public bathroom while holding their child's feet out of the way, as said child is ensconced in a Baby Bjorn.
Um, why don't you pee first and then change her. What's another 30 seconds of crying?
ReplyDelete