Sunday, February 22, 2009

the results are confirmed

I heard my wife's footsteps coming rapidly down the hall yesterday morning. This was noteworthy because it was still quite early and rarely in the morning does anything on my wife move at any great rate of speed. I was concerned. Perhaps she had heard someone trying to break into our house again. Perhaps she had seen the Mothman outside her window. Perhaps she had decided to leave me for the Mothman.

It turns out none of these assumptions on my part was accurate. Rather she had woken up needing to use the bathroom and when she had done so she had decided to urinate on a pregnancy test rather than into the toilet. While I had hoped to be somewhat more involved in this event seeing as how I was sat least partly responsible for its outcome, I realized my part to play in this adventure was for the most part over (actually, it had been over for about two weeks now).

That was yesterday and after a day of looking at one another with stunned looks the process was repeated this morning. This time I was sweetly invited to be a part of the festivities at least from the other side of the bathroom door. The test results were similar to that of the day before which means we are pregnant. And by "we" I mean Clara.

I've never been a father before, nor have I lived with a pregnant woman. I also haven't really blogged before so I figured I'd shoot the moon and take on all three. I'm not a huge fan of navel-gazing blogs, especially those who seek to elevate the mundane to the extraordinary merely by describing the mundane as if it were extraordinary. However, I also want to make sure I remember the next nine months (not to mention the twenty some-odd years of shoulder-crushing responsibility that will follow) and typing my innermost personal thoughts and uploading them to a Google server at an unknown location for potentially everyone on the planet to read seems like a perfectly natural way to do that.

These posts will remain "private" until an official announcement is made and so if you're reading this, I suppose it wasn't a chemical pregnancy after all.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you made this public. You guys crack me up. I hope, at some point in the future, when you're holding your kid, that you don't drop her.

    ReplyDelete