
So in our front yard there is a Sago Palm that we transplanted last year. We thought we the moving process had killed the plant but it clung to life and has recently shot up a new throw of leaves (see right). In addition to reassuring Clara and I a little bit concerning our abilities as parents, the recent development of the Sago has provided a meaningful reminder of the remarkable event that is developing in my wife's womb.
Stay with me here.
In a relatively short period of time this palm (or Cycad or whatever it technically is) started creating new life in the form of a new throw of leaves. With little or now outside help it produced tiny little shoots that in a few days developed into little embryonic leaves. Miraculously it "knew" to do this and miraculously this plant with no brain was able to create something well-formed and perfect. I can't help but see the connection to the embryonic child forming in my wife's womb, though naturally I hope it is creating little hands and feet as opposed to leaves.
In other news, Clara and I went to the doctor yesterday and the doctor reported everything is proceeding nicely. Apparently the apple-sized bundle of joy has a heartbeat of 160 bpm and as the little fruit was moving around a lot, the doctor announced "you've got a swimmer in there."
Michael Phelps, you are officially on notice.
No comments:
Post a Comment