
Several of the books I've been reading have talked about the fact that infants in the womb can hear music and respond favorably to it. I suppose this to be true though I have no recollection of hearing disco whilst in the womb myself.
Nevertheless, we finally figured it was time to start introducing our little bundle of joy to Beethoven. She seemed to enjoy our little concert and she responded by kicking. Thin again, that's the only response we can decisively measure at this point, so it's either that she likes the romantic period of abhors it. At any rate, after her brief introduction to the German maestro I figured we'd move on to some of the other classics by Sid Vicious and Soulja Boy.
Brantley, I am very much enjoying reading this blog and your thoughts about pending fatherhood!
ReplyDeleteI always swore Drew was just trying to kick the headphones off my belly, as he was irritated with the noise.
But, I have a good friend who is part of a belly-dance troupe in Austin, and just had her first child 6 weeks ago. They discovered one night that the instant way to calm her is to put on crazy belly-dancing music, and she goes silent and listens. As my friend continued to dance well up into her third trimester, she apparently recreated the womb for her daughter!
Thought you might enjoy that story. :)
As luck would have it, a friend and former student of mine is an accomplished belly-dancer and she agreed to together a mix tape (or CD or MP3 file or whatever) so I will have some raqs sharqi music of my own with which to experiment when the time comes. My friend had heard that the ACT of belly-dancing was helpful in strengthening the abs for the actual birth but hadn't heard the bit about the music's calming effects. At any rate, thanks for the tip.
ReplyDeleteThanks also for your comment in general. As near as I can tell it's mainly a few friends and family members who are reading this blog and it's nice to know that there are others out there who can appreciate it as well. It makes screaming into the void somehow more meaningful to know that others are listening. I think.
I must say it would be quite odd if we have the same friend! Well, considering this friend of mine ran in different circles while we were all at UT, I guess it wouldn't be TOO surprising, but still.
ReplyDeleteI certainly know all about having other people comment. I just found this link on either yours or Clara's facebook page, I believe it was yours though.
Parenthood is a trip, and the more people who share in your experience the better!