Monday, September 7, 2009

t-50 days and counting

So we passed the 50 day threshold over the weekend. The baby showers have begun as have the birthing classes. While I successfully enjoyed the majority of the first shower, both Clara and I were overwhelmed by the generosity of our friends and family. We were also overwhelmed by the sheer number of cute little pink dresses we now own. My life is truly about to radically change.

The birthing classes have been helpful as well. Did you know the uterus is a muscle? I didn't. Did you know "uterus" is not spelled "uterous"? I do now. The in-class discussion was perhaps the most helpful with the workbook diagrams being somewhat terrifying (see attached diagram) and the accompanying videos sparking a fair amount of ambivalence with both Clara and I. On the one hand, neither of us need or want to see a placenta being born. Then again, it's hard to avoid getting misty-eyed whenever they show a baby being born. Despite some unfortunately framed crowning shots, the overt corniness of the narration, and the screaming, sweating and apparent general unpleasantness of the ordeal, it's hard not to become emotional when you witness a little one enter into the world.

Seeing a placenta enter into the world - now that's just messed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment