Saturday, February 13, 2010

father abandons wife and child

I've been incredibly lucky in that I haven't had to participate in any significant business travel since our daughter was born back in November. I would like to say that this is due to my imposing negotiating skills ("look here, Mr. Boss Man, I need to be with my family and so there's no way I'm getting on that plane!") but in reality the reason is we're still in a severe economic downturn and there isn't much work for an office of architects.

Anyway, that streak came to an end this week when I had to get on a plane to Louisville to start work on a school project. While these trips are always exhausting (delayed flights, cramped coach seating, long meetings during the day, late nights and early early morning preparations for the next round of meetings), for the first time in four months I could count on a full night's sleep. This was, in a word, luxurious.

Clara, unfortunately did not have as good of a run. Our daughter developed another ear infection and was generally cranky and not terribly sleepy while I was up frolicking around Kentucky without a care in the world. Of course I certainly missed them and felt bad I wasn't there to help what I know wasn't a pleasant few days. Then again uninterrupted sleep is a pretty amazing thing.

At any rate it was good to come home, squish my daughter's cheeks and snuggle with my wife in bed fully cognizant of the fact that the snuggling would eventually be interrupted by the little person with the squishy cheeks in he next room.

No comments:

Post a Comment