
I suppose one of the more universal experiences of parenthood is the changing of diapers. This act is somewhat unique in that there exists little precedent for it in one's life prior to parenthood. It is in this way a new experience with little embedded meaning. This coupled with the fact that it is an act conducted often and at varying states of consciousness (alert, tired, really tired, etc.) encourages some degree of mind-wandering philosophizing.
I for one often find myself wondering why infant diapers are printed with the images of cartoon characters and/or muppets? Don't get me wrong, I like Elmo as much as the next guy but my daughter has no clue who he is yet. Besides, I'm not sure my daughter could even lift her head high enough to see over her massive (and adorable) cheeks to see what was printed on her nappy. Even if she could, from that perspective the image of Elmo would be upside down and extremely foreshortened.
Since the only people who seem to be able to appreciate a diaper's decorations are the people charged with the changing of them, shouldn't the artwork be directed toward us? I might suggest a line if inspirational scripture ("Love is Patient" - 1 Corinthians 13) or perhaps a humorous parenting-related comic strip (I would personally prefer Calvin and Hobbes over the more saccharine The Family Circus).
Heck, maybe even reprints of mildly erotic World War II-era nose art might be fun though admittedly that would probably appeal to me more than Clara.
No comments:
Post a Comment