Clara and I had our first little scare on Monday when a call into her doctor to check on the normalcy of some cramping resulted in a visit to the doctor which resulted into some concerns raised about an ectopic pregnancy which resulted in some confusing days. We were just coming to terms with the idea that we were pregnant (and by "we" I mean "Clara") and so the sudden introduction of the possibility that wasn't the case was disorienting to say the least.
While I know there is firm medical science behind everything that's going on, as it is all very new to us it seems mysterious and, for at least the last few days, more than a little scary. Clara gave blood on both Monday and again today (Wednesday) and went back to the doctor this afternoon. On the drive to the doctor's we talked about the run of bad luck we've been having. We weren't feeling sorry for ourselves - obviously we have plenty to be thankful for - and if anything the last month of break-ins, accidents and other unfortunate events made us appreciate how generally lucky we are.
The news at the doctor's office was good from the start. Apparently there was a significant spike in Clara's hormone levels from Monday to today which confirms we're in a very early stage of the pregnancy (>5 weeks) which explains why the doctor wasn't able to see anything when he poked around inside my wife with the ultrasound machine on Monday. Today however, he found a clearly defined gestational sac which sounds a little disgusting but is apparently quite normal.
Speaking of disgusting things that are quite normal, for obvious reasons I've never spent much time in a gynecologist office before. I've also never personally witnessed a strange man stick and ultrasound wand into my wife's vagina before, but these truly are strange and wondrous times in which we are now living.
At any rate, we go back for another visit in a week, though the doctor said he was "90% sure" everything was normal. He didn't go into detail about what the 10% was that was making him unsure but we certainly feel better about things. Plus, I also snagged a photo of the ultrasound screen on my iPhone. I don't know that this counts as the "first" photo of our child since the little guy is still just a small collection of cells, but it is at least proof that something child-like is forming in my wife's belly.

As gestational sac's go (it's the black dot in the middle of the screen) I suppose this one is cute enough. Then again, if you look at the image the right way, it sort of looks like an iguana with the sac as the eye with an open mouth to the right. I hope it's not an iguana, though. Then again I suppose I would learn to love a baby iguana just the same and in time I'd teach it to read and ride a bike and tie its little iguana shoes.
I really hope I don't suck at this fatherhood thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment